Thursday, June 29, 2006

Shootin' JR

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Is that a Frankenstein mask?
No, that's just Jeremy Roenick.

Any other week, Jeremy Roenick’s proclamation to the media that he intends to play in Canada next season would rate front-page news in the Toronto dailies.

But with the free agent season looming only hours away, and other signings, trades, and possible infidelity of NHL superstars making headlines, Roenick’s latest outburst has gone virtually unnoticed.

"I've always said I would like to play in Canada before my career is over," said the 36-year-old Boston native. "And it's one thing that I'm really anxious in doing. Don't be surprised if I end up on a Canadian team next week.”

Non-Leaf fans across the country routinely erupt in outrage at the suggestion that players actually want to play for Toronto, but make no mistake – Roenick meant that he wants to be a Leaf.

Last December, Roenick was interviewed during his swing through town:

"This is my realm here," Roenick told reporters. "Sometimes I feel this is where I was born to play hockey. I've scored more points against this team than any other team in the League. This city has been really good to me outside the rink. It's been real fun for me. I always circle the date on my calendar every year when the schedule comes out.”

Another time this season, Roenick was miked during a game, and was caught on the bench after scoring a goal. “That was good. Not as good as scoring one in Toronto, but still good.”

Should Toronto make a play for him? By his own admission, he’ll come cheap, which is music to the ears of any modern-day GM. And Toronto could use some depth at centre – with Allison, Lindros, and Wilm uncertain/unlikely to return, it’s basically Sundin and some other guys down the middle. Oh wait, my bad. They signed John Pohl yesterday. Sundin and Pohl, then.

I have always liked Roenick. I like his brash, edgy style, I like his passion for hockey, I like how he wears his heart on his sleeve. He says some ridiculous things, but his heart is in the right place. He loves hockey, so he’s okay in my book.

“Yeah, I'm cocky and I am arrogant. But that doesn't mean I'm not a nice person.”

(There are just too many great Roenick quotes to insert here. Do a Google search and see for yourself.)

And signing a player like Roenick might appeal to John Ferguson. For all those who complain about Ferguson’s alleged conservatism, they haven’t been paying attention - his record has proven him to be a decisive riverboat gambler.

Consider the dramatic trade he executed to land Brian Leetch in his attempt to bring a Cup to Toronto (and hauling Calle Johansson out of retirement for almost a million dollars at the same time), the unbelievable, horrible contract he gave Ed Belfour (without requiring a physical!), betting the labour strike would not last an entire season, his choice to buy out absolutely no players last summer - the only team in the league other than St. Louis to make that decision (and they were a team for sale at the time – maybe they couldn’t) because he felt the large, slow players from the old NHL the Leafs had in stock were enough to make another run to the final –

(Taking a deep breath)

-his decision to trade for a guy whose brother had just died, with a reputation for dogging it, and who refuses to fly on airplanes (Jeff O’Neill), a player who hadn’t played a hockey game in two and a half years (Jason Allison), a player with a long history of concussion problems and a primma-donna attitude (Eric Lindros), and his recent decision to trade a blue-chip goalie prospect (Tuuka Rask) for Andrew Raycroft, who literally had the worst statistics of any regular NHL goalie last season. Yikes!

You know, as I read that over, I'm thinking Ferguson just might be on the phone to Roenick’s agent right now.

But even though I like JR, I think the time to bring him to the Leafs, if there ever was one, is over. He's 36. He's had more concussions than Lindros (which might help explain some of what he says). His statistics have been in decline for five straight seasons; Kurt Cobain was still alive the last time Roenick was a dominant player.

If a team is to contend, it should take as few gambles as possible. That means saying no to Gary Roberts’ request to play in Toronto again. (Unless - Ferguson can unload the buyout for either Tie Domi or Ed Belfour to Florida, cancelling out Roberts' $2.25 million salary. No way should they trade a useful asset for him though.) And they should probably say no to Roenick. There are just too many other, better players out there for the Leafs to focus on now.

Sad, maybe. But it’s for the best. And last year, Roenick knew it too:

"You think Tie Domi is big here? If I'd have played here...oh man."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Random The Simpsons Quotes